Recipe of the Week - Portobello Mushrooms on Toast
Ingredients for 6 people
- 6 thick slices of rustic bread of your liking toasted and buttered
- 1lb Portobello mushrooms sliced
- 8oz Chanterelle mushrooms sliced
- 8oz quartered button mushrooms
- 3 Banana Shallots roughly chopped or sliced
- 2 Crushed garlic cloves
- 3-4 tbsp Olive oil
- 2oz butter
- A good heavy splash of Tio pepe dry sherry
- ¼ pt. Double cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Coarsely chopped parsley
This operation is done very quickly and on high heat, just be careful of the hot oil doesn’t slash and when you flambé with the sherry.
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan.
2. Add the shallots and soften quickly.
3. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté quickly.
4. Splash with the sherry, careful it may catch alight because of the alcohol content.
5. Add your double cream and season to taste, reduce for 2-3 minutes.
6. Place the toasted bread on individual plates and divide the mushrooms over the top, sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
You can add some spinach leaves after you have added your mushrooms and use Brandy or Madeira instead of the sherry. This is like a mushroom stroganoff; you can add a tablespoon of paprika with the mushrooms and serve it with rice or mixed into some cooked pasta.
Back to main list