Recipe of the Week - Classic Caesar Salad
The Classic Caesar Salad is a delicate marriage of lettuce, Parmesan shavings,croutons and a delicate anchovy and egg yolk dressing. In its original form,this salad was prepared and served in front of the guests in restaurants – but nobody knows if the original recipe did, in fact, include anchovies.
Ingredients for six people
- 2 Romaine or cos lettuce in mouth-sized pieces
- 6 tbsp Parmesan shavings
- 6 tbsp ready-made croutons
- 2 small crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 crushed anchovies in oil
- 4fl oz virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 raw egg yolk or ‘coddled egg’, slightly poached and left runny to pasteurise
1. Place all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl, except the oil.
2. Mix well with a whisk and gently pour in the olive oil in thin strands to emulsify into a fine dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In the same bowl, add your lettuce leaves, parmesan shavings and croutons and toss well altogether.
4. Wipe the sides of the bowl with kitchen roll or place on a fancy dish to serve.
Why not add seared salmon steaks, shredded chicken, ham or avocado to make a meal out of it?
Back to main list