Recipe of the Week - La Boqueria
Another simple recipe from our menu, this time from the famous market in Barcelona – it’s ‘La Boqueria’, which is essentially egg and chips with a twist.
- 1 litre olive oil
- 4 Spanish chorizo sausage links
- Sea salt
1. Prepare the oil a day or two in advance – you can store this oil in the fridge for later use, it should last for a good month or more. To make this, split the chorizo sausages lengthways then in a pan, place the chorizo sausage and olive oil and heat slowly for 30 minutes; a very gentle simmer will suffice. Cover the pan and leave to infuse for 1-2 days. Strain the oil back into its original bottle and label.
2. In a small non-stick frying pan, heat a little of the chorizo-infused olive oil and heat gently, crack a couple of eggs and fry to your liking. If you cook them very quickly, they will be crispy on the outside and very runny in the centre! Then season with sea salt.
3. Place your chips on a plate and put the runny eggs and part of the oil over the chips. The idea is for the yolks to break over the chips.
4. Serve with some crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Use whatever kind of chips you like! Make them fresh preferably or if not, be practical and use a good brand to cook in the oven at home. If you do make them fresh at home, try cutting the potatoes in thin 1/4” thick round discs and fry. The chorizo that has been used to infuse the oil can be cut up into small pieces, lightly pan fried and added to a mixed salad.
Back to main list