Recipe of the Week - Spanish Omelette
This traditional Spanish omelette, also called a tortilla, is quick and easy to make - and it's delicious, too. Here's how to make one at home.
- 2.5kg potatoes
- 2 large onions
- 6 large eggs
- Oil for frying (sunflower or vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
1. Peel and wash the potatoes, dry them, then cut/chip them into a bowl. You want small one-inch pieces.
2. Peel and slice the onions and mix them with the potatoes.
3. Get a large deep-frying pan filled with oil and fry the potatoes and onions in batches. They need to boil and fry at the same time. They will stick together a little but just keep turning them over from time to time until soft.
4. Drain the potatoes and onion mix, and place in a large bowl. Season well.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan with olive oil.
6. Whisk the eggs and pour over the mix while still hot and mix well.
7. Put all this mix into the frying pan; it should be thick like a cake, and cook gently mixing slowly from time to time. After two or three minutes you will need to set the omelette in the pan - press the mix down with a fork so it's all level in the pan, shaking the pan so it doesn’t stick and checking the heat so it doesn’t burn.
8. Now the fun part. Turn the heat down, being very careful you don’t burn yourself, place a large plate over the pan, you need to rotate the pan over and place the omelette onto the plate. In the same pan slide the omelette back into the pan and put back onto the heat. Cook the other side gently, shaking the pan handle so the omelette wobbles in the pan.
9. Again, after two minutes, put the plate over the pan, rotate, and you should have a beautifully coloured Spanish omelette on the plate. Allow to rest for five minutes, then cut into wedges like a cake.
In Spain, many people take this cooled tortilla on picnics. You can add other vegetables or diced chorizo sausage, but the recipe above is the true Spanish omelette, not the one you often see in magazines or cookery books.
Back to main list