Recipe of the Week - Mille-Feuille
Oven temperature preset to 180C - cooking time 20 – 30 minutes
Ingredients - 2 x packet pre-rolled puff pastry
- 1 x beaten egg for egg wash
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar for sprinkling
- 1 pint double cream
- 2-3 drops of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp icing sugar plus extra for dusting
- 8oz mixed berries
1. Unfold the puff pastry sheets, place one sheet on a lined baking sheet big enough to accommodate the sheet comfortably.
2. Egg wash the pastry sheet on the tray and then place the other sheet on top, egg wash the top side and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
3. Chill for 20 minutes, then place in the preheated oven and cook until golden. It should puff up like a pillow, being careful that your oven doesn’t colour it too much.
4. Take out when its ready and allow to cool.
5. Whip the double cream with the vanilla and icing sugar to firm peaks.
6. When the pastry has chilled completely, place it onto your table and with a serrated knife, cut across the middle horizontally. Place the top half on your tabletop and the bottom half on the platter you intend to serve it on.
7. Place the whipped flavoured cream all over the bottom half of the pastry and sprinkle over your fruits.
8. Place the other half on top, shiny side up.
9. Dust with icing sugar, serve and enjoy.
Back to main list