Recipe of the Week - Chicken Chasseur
Another French classic often not done properly, very easy all in one pot.
Oven preheated to 170c
Preparation time 20minutes
Cooking time 1 ½ hours
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1-2 oz plain flour
Salt and pepper
4 Large chicken legs cut in half
1 large chopped onion
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 tbsp tomato puree
1x 400grm tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh chopped Tarragon
Lots of fresh chopped parsley
1 bay leaf
½ bottle dry white wine
½lb sliced mushrooms
500ml good chicken stock
1. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and dust with the flour.
2. In a frying pan add a little oil and fry the chicken pieces slowly so they colour lightly. Once all the chicken has been fried place in a casserole dish. You only need to colour not cook the chicken at this stage.
3. In the same pan, add a little more oil and all the butter. Fry your onions lightly then add your garlic and mushrooms cook for 2-3 minutes gently.
4. Put the tomato puree in and stir, then pour in the white wine until it all bubbles. Pour into the casserole dish with the chicken.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, tarragon, bay leaf and the chicken stock.
6. Place in the pre heated oven for 1 hour covered, then the remaining ½ hour uncovered.
7. After this time, take out and check for seasoning, and sprinkle with lots of chopped parsley before you serve.
Back to main list